Friday, September 11, 2009

goodbye to james





last night I walked in to a warm kitchen full of amazing smells (dinner by laura & jina), and to the sight of james...white and quiet at the bottom of his bowl. it was good to have my friends there. i thanked him for being such a good fish - remembered the highlights of his life & how much i enjoyed him. then we poured him into a cup and sang;


this is my Father's world,

and to my listening ears

all nature sings, and round me rings

the music of the spheres.

this is my Father's world:

i rest me in the thought

of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;

his hand the wonders wrought.

appropriate to remember that God loves his creation and that it is all his. james was over 3 years old. that's a decent lifespan for a fish. thankful that he's not suffering anymore and remembering the good ol' days when he was bright and feisty and friendly and when he'd recognize me (my hair, i think) and come swim over to my edge of the bowl to just watch me & hang out. we were good friends, and i'll miss him.

i don't know if animals go to heaven or not, but if they do - this might be what our reunion looks like (but james is MUCH prettier, and i'm not a boy). i think this fish was so excited to see his old friend that he just bowled him over, and is giving him a great big ol' hello....




1 comment:

  1. Oh thank you for your phone call and for telling me to read this! You are such a writer and your beloved James deserves this post!

    ReplyDelete